Many of us heard this term but have not paid enough attention to understand the importance of this integral component of computer network. So in this article I will let you know about the most important part of computer network i.e. “Server”. A server is a device with a particular set of programs or protocols that provide various services, which is requested by user to perform the desired task. The combination of Server and Client/user forms a client server model, which controls the routing systems and centralized access to information, resources, stored data, etc. Depending on the computing service performed by it could be classified as Database Server, File Server, Mail Server, Print Server, Web Server, Gaming Server, or some other kind of server.
Types of Server:
· Server Platform: Server platform is the fundamental hardware or software for a system which acts as an engine that controls the server. It is often used synonymously with an operating system.
· Application Server: Application server is also known as a type of middleware, it occupies a substantial amount of computing region between Database Servers and the End user, and is responsible for establishing a connection between them.
· Audio/Video Server: It provides multimedia capabilities to websites thus enable it to render audio, video services requested by the user for broadcasting purpose.
· Chat Server: It serves the users to exchange data between the individuals or sharing data between the individuals in an environment similar to Internet newsgroup with real-time discussion capabilities.
· FTP Server: FTP stands for File Transfer protocol which is one of the oldest internet services. It provides a secure and reliable file transfer between computers while ensuring file security and transfer control.
· Fax Server: It is one of the best options for organizations that seek minimum incoming and outgoing telephone resources and used for telephonic transmission of textual documents. These documents contain both text and images.
· Groupware Server: This software is designed to furnish the real time communication irrespective of location through internet and function together in virtual environment.
· IRC Server: IRC stand as for Internet Relay Chat. This is specially designed for those looking for real time discussion capabilities .It provide users to have private chat or text messaging and group discussion. Along with text messaging user have privileges of data transmission via files sharing. Internet Relay Chat comprises different network servers that enable the users to connect to each other through an IRC network.
· List Server: It provides a better way of managing mailing lists. The server can be either open interactive discussion for the people or a one-way list that provides announcements, newsletters or advertising.
· Mail Server: It transfers and stores mails over corporate networks through various computer networks modes like LANs, MANs and WANs and across the Internet.
· Proxy Server: It provides a client program to get access external server to filter requests, improve performance and share connections. By using this facility the user’s IP can’t be traced by anyone.
· Telnet Server: This enables user to get access to remote computer. It enables the users to log on to a host computer and execute tasks as if they are working on a remote computer. For instance you can control the computer and make changes like install a software or use an MS excel application etc. WeTransfer Alternative